How we raise funds
Khandel light trustees work voluntarily, taking no wages or expenses from the funds raised, so every penny that comes to us goes straight to Khandel. Decisions on how to distribute funds are made in conjunction with our NGO, (Non-Government Organisation,) Nirman Sanstha. Khandel light’s Chair Peter Gough joins the monthly community meetings by telephone. It is from these meetings, and by careful annual surveys, that Nirman Sanstha assesses the needs of the community.
So how do we raise money? The answer is - in many ways. The list below shows how we raise funds at the moment, but please remember we would be delighted to hear from you with your new fund raising ideas!
- Direct debit from Khandel light supporters
- Local organisations support us: Rotary Clubs, Scout Groups, WI, Parish Councils, Charitable Trusts, Church collections.
- Collections – in 2015 at Saracens Rugby Club - in 2014 at the Cambridge Literary Festival.
- The London Marathon, over the last five years our wonderful runners have raised over £50,000 for Khandel light. Please visit Events to donate to the 2015 team.
- Khandel light holds events, often generously sponsored by local friends. In November 2014 we received the proceeds from a wonderful WW1 Commemorative evening in Barley.
- In 2015 we are inviting our supporters to the Cokenach Estate Spring Open Garden on May 16th. There will be teas and fun for the family, tours of the gardens, music; a magical afternoon for all.
- We have stalls at the local fetes and fairs, Barley Show, Barley Christmas Market and Barkway Street Market. Sales of chutney and marmalade.
- Our supporter David Weston contributes wonderful water colours for us to sell for Khandel light, a selection of David’s paintings can be viewed on his home page.
- Schools raise money for us in many different ways: non-uniform days, henna tattoos, selling sweets and cakes, schools organised Diwali nights with Indian food, Bollywood dancing tutorials, a chai tea demonstration, and Easter Egg hunts; all imaginative and fun ways to raise funds.
Here are our supporter schools:
- Anstey School
- Barkway School
- Barley School
- Bishop's Stortford High School
- Chrishall School
- Guilden Morden School
- Katherine Semar School
- Newport Free Grammar School
- Princess Helena College
- Ralph Sadleir School, Puckeridge
- Roysia School, Royston
- St Faith's School, Cambridge
- St John's College School, Cambridge
- St Mary's School, Cambridge
- St Mary's School, Saffron Walden
- Tannery Drift School
- Therfield School
- Widford School
Please contact the trustees if you would like to raise money for Khandel light.
India has suffered considerably from COVID-19...
November 2019 Update
19 years! - Thank you for all your loyal support...
Visit our album to see the community of Khandel and the surrounding villagesVisit our album
We work to improve the lives of vulnerable and disadvantaged families in Khandel and its surrounding villages situated in the desert State of Rajasthan, India.Read more about our work
Take a look at some of the facts and headline issues that we as a charity are addressing.Read our case studies